The Pampered Posts (Blog)
|Posted on March 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM|
Yesterday’s make your own lip gloss topic inspired me to explore more DIY topics! I’m really excited about today’s, because it combines 2 of my favorite things… Nail Polish and Craftiness.
Whether you just can’t seem to find that perfect color or you’re looking to update last season’s polishes, these tips will help you! There are WAY too many steps involved in making your own polish, including chemicals and procedures and that I’m not interested in learning, but here are some ways to make some custom polish colors!
To make your own nail polish color:
1. Start with a bottle of clear nail polish for a sheer shade or white for an opaque shade.
2. Cut the corner from an envelope and place it inside your polish bottle like a tiny little funnel
3. Add powdered eye shadow for color. The more you add, the deeper the color will be.
4. Add fine glitter for sparkle if desired.
5. Shake well and Viola!
This can also be used to add shimmer to a flat polish you already have.
Last spring/summer they were showing a lot of neons, but this year it looks like pastels are all the rage… Instead of shelving the neons and buying new pastel polishes, why don’t you play chemist and alter the shades.
To change a polish from neon to pastel:
1. Start with the bottle of neon Polish.
2. Add 10 – 15 drops of white polish
3. Add – 2 drops of black. (the black will help cut the brightness of the neon color)
4. Shake well. If the desired color has not been reached continue to add drops of white and black until you are happy with it.
Maybe you have some dark shades left over from winter that you’re not crazy about? Lighten those babies up, and make them spring shades!
To lighten dark Polish:
Add white nail polish or silvery/pearlescent eye shadow, depending on the effect you’re looking for.
To darken light Polish:
Add black nail polish or eye shadow.
Experiment and have fun with it!
We all have a few bottles of polish at home that we’re not exactly thrilled about. Mix 2 or 3 of them together and see what you get!
I’m so excited about this idea, I think I might add it to my Rockstar parties! If you were an 11 year old girl, wouldn’t you be pretty psyched about making your own custom nail polish? I’m 24 and I know I am!
Send your beauty questions to pamperpa[email protected] and I’ll answer them in my next blog.
Thanks for reading and don’t forget to stop by again next week for another dose of the beauty blog!